Sunday, January 22, 2023

12-24-2022

 

12-24-2022 An Unexciting Day

Today is Christmas Eve.  We had an early start with a SOB ride at 7:00.  This boat has good visibility, but does not go to the shore.  It was still sunny at that hour, since the sun never set last night.  We rode around looking for penguins , seals and whales.  We saw a lot of Adelie penguins swimming and diving in and out of the water, but I was never fast enough to get a picture.  On one medium size iceberg, we found a crabeater seal, enjoying the sun. 


The sight of the day was the “Statue Gallery”, an area with lots of small icebergs and floating chunks of ice which had broken off from them.  The variety of shapes was unbelievable!  I will let them speak for themselves.








It was cool out on the water in spite of the temperature, 33 degrees F.  We saw people from the Zodiac walking along the top of a low stretch of land.  I was scheduled to go out in the Zodiac later, but I found out that there was just a lot of walking on loose pebbles with no penguins, seals or much of anything else to see, so I cancelled my slot on the Zodiac.

We had dinner in Manfredi’s Restaurant, the food is always good there, and the experience was made better when we shared our table with another couple.

When we finished dinner, it was after 9:00, but I went up to deck 5 to work on the puzzle.  About half a dozen people were working on it at that time.  There was a Christmas Dance going on in The Library, the next area over, so we listened to the music and watched people dance and puzzled and lost track of the time.  Suddenly it was midnight!  I gave up and went to our cabin.  I do not know how long the others worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment